Sunday, March 8, 2009

Once more, with power

I have given up on wood framing, in favour of the wonder that is metal framing. It is straight. It uses much shorter screws. It is straight. Did I mention straight?

The wood framing ressembled DNA. Lovely, I think the double helix of our genome is beautiful, and I'm sure the shape is quite useful. But it's really hard to attach drywall to. Especially with lousy tools.


So I returned to Home Depot, spouse in tow, where we purchased a smallish amount of metal framing and a largish amount of screws.

I am happy with the result so far, which took about 2 hours. This compares to a lesser result with over 6 hours of work with lumber. Now, I'm not dissing wood - wood is great. Especially when it's still growing as part of a tree. But 2x2 lumber is a few things.

1. It's 1.5x1.5
2. It's curvy, unlike me
3. It's a pain in the ass to screw without stripping the screws

You see my work? Isn't it lovely? Or at least acceptable? I am not done. Here's a picture of my favourite corner, to give you a sense of the challenge I have created for myself.


Note the bit that dips down near the letter R. Why my son has screwed a large letter R to the wall is a mystery, but if that's his chosen form of self expression, far be it from me to suggest something more personal, like a tattoo. He can continue screwing things to the wall. Especially if it keeps him from facial piercings.

I am done for the day. I finished enough to realize it will likely work, but not without much use of tin snips. The tin snips do work, I'm just not exactly muscular, and it's a bit awkward snipping a C shaped piece of metal without slicing your fingers. So far I only have a couple of scrapes, and I got them before we made it out of the store. Good thing my tetanus shot is up to date! If I start feeling stiff, I'm getting another one just in case.

Oh - I am no longer envious of the Amish. I have acquired a loaner cordless drill. It is my friend. I have already learned that no matter how hard you push, if you have the bit rotating counter-clockwise the screw will not bite. I am not going to disclose how often I did this.

1 comment:

Isabella's Blog said...

Thanks for the photos and the post...very funny! Keep at it!