Wednesday, November 26, 2008

More snow!

The white stuff continues to fall, albeit slowly. Cheers me right up, it does.

The "holiday season" is upon us. Lots of midwinter festivities coincide with the winter solstice, which makes sense as you need a big party to celebrate the return of light. Celebrate what you want, but it all started when we got fed up with the dark and partied when we saw the days were getting longer, even if only by a couple of minutes.

I know where Christmas and many of its symbols come from - the tree, the manger, Santa, gifts, lights. But where does the Easter Bunny come from? The holiday marks a state execution and subsequent miraculous revival and physical liftoff into skyland. Where do we get a bunny hiding chocolate eggs from that? Did Jesus hide eggs in his tomb? Did he breed rabbits at any time? I thought he was a carpenter. Clearly my theological shortcomings are significant.

I keep meaning to read the bible. But the beginning is really dull. Genesis. All that begetting. I think the only thing we've achieved from that old and often miserably translated book is the go forth and multiply bit. That we proved really good at. Time to move away from that, and onto something useful, like treating people well. Assuming you want to follow an old book, which many seem to inclined to do. I am also ideologically impaired. I like silliness, but it's not exactly an ideology. I dislike ideologues. Thinking is better than reacting based on dogma or ideology. In my opinion. Which is, as noted, uninformed by theological or biblical knowledge. I do, however, possess a high degree of knowledge on Monty Python skits and movies. So I know about the killer rabbit, just not the Easter one. The killer one is a lot funnier, and you don't have to spend a small fortune every Spring buying stuff to convince small children that a giant rabbit snuck into the house and hid eggs.

This is the first year all my kids are skeptical of Santa. My youngest can't figure out the logistics. How many people live in the world? He visits them all? The same night? How? He's always been a skeptic.

Silly things people do because of ideology.

1. Tell men in dresses bad things they've done.
2. Communion - tell me it isn't ritualistic pseudo cannibalism.
3. Funny hats. What religion doesn't have them? Hats, headgear, whatever - it seems popular.

Asshat is one of my favourite insults, although I've never used it. I just like how it sounds. Asshat.

No comments: